Media Lab Helsinki is located at Aalto University’s Otaniemi Campus, less than 20 minutes away from Helsinki city centre. We share around 2000m2 of newly renovated space with the Visual Communication Design MA programme. Our spaces include a small audio studio and edit space, a basic electronics workshop, two 20 seat IT classrooms, a 10 seat IT classroom, a game room, as well as other lecture and seminar spaces, project rooms, kitchens and relaxed lounge areas.
Students also have access to other specialized facilities at both Otaniemi and the School of Arts, Design and Architecture (ARTS) main campus in Arabia, Helsinki. These facilities include:
- wood and metal workshops http://arts.aalto.fi/fi/studies/tyopajaymparistot/ (in Finnish).
- TV and film studios including multi-camera environment with motion capture and green screen. (http://studios.aalto.fi/).
- professional audio facilities such as foley studios, audio mixing rooms etc. (http://studios.aalto.fi/).
- photography studios http://photography.aalto.fi/about/facilities/.
- 3D printing facilities for instance at FabLab in Learning Center (http://fablab.aalto.fi/).
- Print Lab, a specialized printing environment (http://printlab.aalto.fi/).
MT3 Support Hub lends out equipment for course and research work, independent artistic work and installations.
Equipment includes electronics (such as Arduinos, Raspberry Pis and miscellaneous sensors), computers and pads, DSLR and other still cameras, digital video cameras, audio equipment (microphones, audio/AV recorders, audio I/O, audio mixers, active and passive speakers), lighting equipment, media players, monitors and video/data projectors.